Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Inspiration in a Cup


While surfing the web this evening, I ran across a photo of a mug promoting our new Pope. Below his name was a quote from Maureen Dowd's recent New York Times Column: "The Cafeteria is Closed."

As a long time Cafeteria Catholic, I was insulted. Offended, actually. And, in that moment, the idea for this blog was formed.

Welcome to Cafeteria Catholic. My hope is that this blog will become a place for those of us who identify ourselves as Catholic, and don't quite accept all of the doctrine.

I'm a 40-something lifelong Catholic who has accepted my lot as a Cafeteria Catholic. There is so much about the Catholic Church that truly speaks to me. And, yes, I have my points of disagreement. I believe women should be ordained, and priests should be allowed to marry. I think abortion is a choice, though it's not one I'd chose to make. I believe we as humans should have the right to love who we love, regardless of their sex. And, while I believe the Catholic church has the right to decide whether it or not it will allow same sex marriage, it should recognize that some of its followers are gay. And, that should be okay. I believe birth control is a choice, too. And, while I don't have any kids, I want my church to accept my marriage as it is, even without procreating.

Some might be quick to label me a Democrat. I'm actually a registered Independent who leans to the right. (Oh my gosh!) Is there anyone else out there???????????????

At the first sight of white smoke and the announcement of our new Pope, I will admit I was a bit upset. I saw his "take it or leave it" homily before the conclave. I heard the reports of "The Rottweiler" and the like. Hey, his job was to enforce doctrine. And, I suppose, he did it well. My hope was that as Pope, Cardinal Ratzinger might take on a more welcoming role.

In the middle of that first night of the new Papacy, I watched the broadcast of the Pope's first mass from the Sistine Chapel. After listening live to his 18-minute homily, I heard a Pope who was reaching out, not pushing away. One who wants to enter into conversation, not silence the masses. After that, I was hopeful. I truly believe this new Pope does not want to close the door on Cafeteria Catholics. I hope that's true.

Are you a Cafeteria Catholic? If so, I invite you to jump in and speak. There's plenty of room for you to comment. And, if you're not, you're welcome to comment, too.

The Cafeteria Catholic is open! I look forward to getting to know you.

2 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, November 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My problem and main reason for being a Cafeteria Catholic is the concept of confession(using a priest as medium). I fully accept the responsibility of my sins and confess them to God as well as trying to not sin again. What I have a problem with is the requirement of having a priest sanction the absolution I want only from God. After all priests are merely humans like myself subject to the temptations of life. I want a personal confessional relatioshiip only with my God without human intervention. I guess I want it all. I do miss not being able to receive communion because of this. I wish the Catholic Church would be like the Lutheran Church and allow communion after private confession only to God.

 
At 8:27 PM, April 13, 2011, Blogger lynnlandries said...

Hi, I just stumbled on your blog and glad you started this. Keep writing. I am also a similar CC. I also left for a long time and came back, but sometimes, it's hard to stay in the club. I blog at http://thisprodigaldaughter.wordpress.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home