Monday, February 06, 2006

Holy Real Estate


Real estate, in most parts of the country these days, is hot. Around the cafeteria, property is, to say the least, high dollar.

So, when some friends stopped by the other day to tell me they'd purchased a new home and were preparing to put their future former home on the market, they had one thing to say.

Time to bring out St. Joseph.

Ah, yes. St. Joseph. What? The patron saint of real estate?

You see, a few years back when I was inspired to put my own homestead on the market, these same friends showed up with a small plastic figurine of good St. Joe in tow.

"Bury him in the front yard," they said. "For good luck."

I did as they told, burying San Jose in the front yard, along with a holy card for good measure. Weeks passed. My property didn't sell. No harm done. I didn't really want to move, anyway.

Well, now, these friends want their holy statue back.

I went to the spot in my front yard where I'd buried the small piece of plastic. I dug, and dug. I found the holy card, and kept digging. Nothing. More digging. Nothing. The petit Joseph de saint was nowhere to be found.

Wow. Apparently I'd discovered a dicey piece of data about this saintly real estate deal. If you don't sell your property, St. Joe takes a hike!

Check the web. There's a site that sings the praises of the power of the St. Joseph Statute. As for me, a local religious artifacts store sells little holy real estate kits designed just for the purpose of burying in your yard, and hoping and praying for a high bid. I'll run down there and purchase one to reimburse my friends.

Meanwhile, I just have to know. What's the deal with St. Joseph and real estate deals?

3 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, February 13, 2006, Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

It's an amusing legend. But some people cling to such things.

 
At 11:26 AM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, even some of the "Cafeteria Real-Estaters" have given up on this one. Wonder what the "Cafeteria Atheists" do.

 
At 10:05 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger CafeCath said...

I have to admit...I didn't buy the statue. And, my friend's house sold..above the asking price.

Hmmm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home