Saturday, August 06, 2005

Puzzled


Reading about our new Supreme Court nominee, it takes about a nanosecond to learn he's Catholic. Do a minute or two of research and you'll be treated to someone's opinion of what "kind" of Catholic he is. (I've yet to see him referred to as a cafeteria Catholic!) Many, from Barbara Walters to the Boston Globe, seem to think the fact that John Roberts is Catholic is an important fact. I find myself scratching my head, asking "Why does it matter?"

"Catholics and The Court", a piece in the New York Times by Robin Toner takes a closer look at that question. I especially appreciated a quote by Lisa Cahill, a professor of theology at Boston College.
Just as with any candidate, his track record is the key thing. People have a lot of communal identities and roles that go into their public stance - maybe a political party, maybe a religious tradition, maybe the Elks Club - and I don't think it's fair to pick out the religious tradition and suggest that will determine his views.
Does it matter? Maybe. Should it? I don't think so.

We'll see.

2 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, August 12, 2005, Blogger CafeCath said...

And you thought I wasn't paying attention!

 
At 8:30 AM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Elena LaVictoire said...

It matters mainly because they're trying to figure out what side of the abortion issue he will fall on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home