Sunday, July 16, 2006

Songs That Make A Difference


While I was thinking about pastoral musicians, I came across an interesting piece at the National Association of Pastoral Musician's site.

In September 2005, the NPM conducted an online survey that invited Catholics to name a liturgical song "that has made a lasting impact on their own lives of faith". According to the NPM, more than 3,000 people responded to the survey.

Here are the "Top 25".
Read 'em and feel free to click and sing along!

1. On Eagle's Wings
2. Here I Am, Lord
3. Be Not Afraid
4. You Are Mine
5. How Great Thou Art
6. Holy God, We Praise Thy Name
7. Amazing Grace
8. All Are Welcome
9. Prayer of St. Francis
10. Ave Maria
11. We Are Called
12. Let There Be Peace On Earth
13. I Am The Bread Of Life
14. The Summons
15. Panis Angelicus
16. The Servant Song - Gillard
17. Pescador de Hombres
18. The Servant Song - McGargill
19. Shepherd Me, O God
20. Ave Verum Corpus
21. Lord of the Dance
22. One Bread, One Body
23. Tantum Ergo
24. Hosea
25. Pange Lingua

Lovely list. It definitely includes a toe tapper or two!

5 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, July 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of good tunes, and memories, too! Thanks, Cafe Cath.

I have always been particularly fond of "I Am the Bread of Life." I love the music (although I am having trouble getting up to the third "raise" these days). The song is marvelous in the way it magnifies our wonderful Savior (and minimizes us, by the way). And it is very faithful to the promises of the Bible found in John chapter 6.

 
At 9:38 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Garpu said...

Lurker, here. I've been thinking about liturgical music a lot lately, and blogged about it a bit. On the one hand, I don't feel that guitars are appropriate for the Mass, and I personally don't like a lot of the music that came from the 1970's and 80's. That having been said, I know it provides meaning and a connection to the liturgy for a lot of people. So as long as butts are in pews, it doesn't matter in the end. I think the Church is big enough for diversity in unity. So long as they don't snark at me for my preferences in liturgical music, I promise not to snark at them for theirs. ;)

Also, the comments from Benedict on music make me cringe, as a "classical" composer. Somehow, I don't think his idea of modernity and mine are at all the same. Nor do I think that we should shoehorn modern composers into writing in old idioms. When's the last time you heard Penderecki's setting of the Mass used liturgically?

 
At 7:55 PM, July 18, 2006, Blogger Joey said...

I like this list. Lots of my favorites here too.

 
At 1:38 AM, September 02, 2006, Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Ah, I've played and sung a few of them in my time.

Thanks for the memories.

By the way, ciaviel - guitars are fine if played well and tastefully and when appropriate (Silent Night, for example, is lovely when played on guitar).

And I've been to Masses where the organ playing reminded me of a circus...

 
At 11:16 AM, January 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you share the source of the recording for Servant Song-Galliard?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home