Saturday, July 08, 2006

Say "Thank You"


I'm just a little ol' Cafeteria Catholic reminiscing about songs I like to hear and sing at Mass -- and, one reaction I get is that I best stop tapping my toes and clapping my feet for fear of being tagged a sinner.

That got me thinking. Imagine what life must be like for our Pastoral Musicians and Liturgical Composers! I can see a parish music director putting his/her heart and soul into the perfect blend of chants and toe-tapping tunes to create a spirit-lifting, sacred Sunday celebration. As the doors to the church swing open to the tune of the closing hymn, I imagine 99.8% of the congregation leaving for life in the real world feeling inspired and strengthened.

But, odds are there are one or two who leave church with a chip on their shoulder. They may have the courage to tell the music director what they think. More likely, they'll tell the parish priest, or call the bishop's office and declare that the parishioners at their church are doomed to Hell because they tapped a toe at Mass. Sigh.

God bless all of the talented people who bring life to our liturgy through music. Please join me in thanking your parish musicians, singers and music directors for sharing the gift of music with you and your fellow parishioners. And, if you have a favorite liturgical composer, look them up and let them know you love their music.

Thank you!

2 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, July 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cafeteria Catholic, I would recommend reading Pope Benedict XVI's book, The Spirit of the Liturgy (Ignatius Press). This is an excellent resource to help understand the historical significance and purpose of music, art and architecture in the liturgy. Peace be with you.

 
At 4:25 AM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Steve Bogner said...

The thing about music is that it can really add to Mass when both the musicians and the people put their hearts into it. At our former parish, most people didn't sing. Didn't matter what the song was, they chose not to sing. At our current parish, *everyone* sings, and that make a big difference.

Mass is both a personal and a communal experience, and singing together is (in my opinion) an important expression of that community. And if everyone sings, no one will notice how bad your singing voice is :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home