Saturday, May 21, 2005

I'm Upbeat. How About You?


This is no run-of-the-mill online quiz. Beyond Red vs. Blue: The 2005 Political Typology is an effort by The Pew Center to take a multi-dimensional look at Americans, based on values, beliefs and party affiliation. The nine typology groups range from Enterprisers on one end to Bystanders on the other.

What I found most interesting about me fellow "Upbeats" is that we look a lot like a lot of Cafeteria Catholics I know!
Who They Are
Relatively young (26% are under 30) and well-educated. Upbeats are the second wealthiest group after Enterprisers (39% have household incomes of $75,000 or more.) The highest proportion of Catholics (30%) and white mainline Protestants (28%) of all groups, although fewer than half (46%) attend church weekly. Mostly white (87%), suburban, and married, they are evenly split between men and women.
Where do you fit? All types are welcome here!

6 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, May 22, 2005, Blogger Steve Bogner said...

Most Catholics I know are probably Upbeats - due to demographics more than anything, probably. When I started blogging almost 2 years ago, I felt like I was totally out of place - most every other Catholic blog was so conservative. Then I found some liberal Catholic blogs. And these days, finding more and more middle-of-the-road Catholic blogs. Like yours! It's nice.

 
At 6:09 PM, May 22, 2005, Blogger thc said...

I'm an Enterpriser. Big surprise.

 
At 10:57 PM, May 22, 2005, Blogger CafeCath said...

Greetings to Steve, THC and Vavoom. You span the spectrum, and provide me with some welcome company in the middle ground. Thanks much for stopping by. I hope you'll visit often.
- CC

 
At 7:34 AM, May 23, 2005, Blogger uscotka said...

I'm a liberal. No surprises there. Just found this blog last week and I'm really enjoying it.

 
At 6:27 PM, May 23, 2005, Blogger CafeCath said...

ma01432 - Welcome. So far, it seems as if this survey is affirming for many. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you'll visit often.

Some interesting "handles" on this comment thread: Vavoom and ma01432 -- I'd love to know the story behind the names.

THC, I was able to decipher.

Again, welcome all!

 
At 12:10 PM, May 28, 2005, Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I'm a liberal.

One thing that causes more pain and confusion in the Catholic church, but is also a source of strength and wisdom, is our diversity. Liberals. Conservatives. "Upbeats." We're all welcome - we just need to be reminded of that sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home