Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Hail to the Knights


This Confirmation I attended is hanging with me. So, hang with me!

One of the surprises of the evening was my reaction to an honor guard of the Knights of Columbus. As the conformate and their sponsors processed into the church, the aisle was lined with Knights in full regalia: tuxedos, gloves, capes, hats and plumes. (I don't think they had their swords.) They definitely added a touch of reverance and class to the evening. It was lovely.

Though it's been years since I've seen a KofC in full dress, my reaction was surprising. I flashed back to the death of my grandfather. He was an active Knight, who achieved a noteworthy level of service. Growing up, to me the Knights of Columbus meant bus rides to professional baseball games on Sunday afternoons, bingo games, parish carnivals and pancake breakfasts. Just another part of my growing up Catholic. They represented lots of fun, and I knew there was serious service below the surface. At Grandpa's visitation, I will never forget the handful of Knights entering the church in their regalia, complete with the plumes. They proceeded to say the most lovely rosary I remember -- all in honor of my Grandpa and his service to the church.

Seeing these bedecked Knights the other night, I was touched by their connection to my beloved Grandpa. I got teary, and my goddaughter wondered what was up. "The Knights remind me of my Grandpa," I said. "Oh," she replied with a sweet look in her eyes.

To this young teenager, the Knights probably appeared as "weird old dudes with plumes". But, as she saw her godmother get teary-eyed at the sight of them, I hope she saw that there is something about them that is very special indeed.

2 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, May 12, 2005, Blogger Talmida said...

Ahhh, the Knights. Catholics were not allowed to join the Freemasons, so they started their own private boys' club with their own funny hats.

*sigh*

I can appreciate the emotional attachment, since your grandfather was a Knight, but I've always just seen them as another male bastion of the Church -- no women allowed, please (although I'm betting that's who irons those capes).

When do women get the funny hats? How about sabers for us?

 
At 9:47 PM, May 12, 2005, Blogger CafeCath said...

So true. Take the emotion out of it, and what do you have? A fraternity.

If I carried a sword anywhere, especially Church, it could be VERY dangerous!

And, I'm not that big into hats.

It worked for Grandpa. For me, it's part of a pleasant, distant memory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home