Thursday, March 02, 2006

No Fried Foods


This most reverent season of Lent began with a bit of a giggle for me yesterday as I received a call from a far away friend who is a cafeteria-style Muslim. Like me, she's proud of her religious heritage, but is -- also like me -- not the most practicing type.

In her call, she announced that she was giving up fried foods.

"Why?" I asked.

"Lent" was her reply.

I burst into laughter. The thought of my lovely Muslim friend giving up her favorite foods for forty days, while I -- the Cafeteria Catholic -- was doubtful that I could make it through Ash Wednesday without consuming meat, was too much to handle.

Apparently, my friend, who recently moved into a quite predominantly Catholic city, is inspired by those around her to observe this season of sacrifice.

"You know what this means, don't you?" I declared. "You're a Cafeteria Catholic, too!"

With that, we both got a big laugh.

3 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, March 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a cool friend! I wish we all could be so tolerant.

 
At 5:51 AM, March 09, 2006, Blogger Liam said...

The question is, what are you going to do at Ramadan?

I think it's great that she is open to experiencing what her neighbors are going through. I also think it's a sign of how attractive Lent is: it's good to give up something, challenge ourselves, be a bit more serious for forty days. I always look forward to Lent.

 
At 10:06 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger CafeCath said...

Yes, my friend is VERY cool.

V - Can you substitute silk for fresh for 40 days?

And, Liam - I agree with you on all counts. And, I'm thinking about Ramadan.

Thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home