Thursday, July 27, 2006

Summer Reading


I'm watching my mailbox for the arrival of this soon-to-be released title. It's the first of its kind since the old Baltimore version, which I fondly, though a bit vaguely, remember from my plaid jumper wearing days of third grade.

Let's see, it went something like this:

Q: Who made us?
A: God made us.

Q: Who is God?
A: God is the Supreme Being...
According to the authors, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, the 21st Century version is designed to facilitate more than mere memorization.

Each chapter in the Catechism for Adults includes stories, doctrine, reflection, quotations, discussion questions, and prayer to lead the reader to a deepening faith. The Catechism for Adults is an excellent resource for preparation of catechumens in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults and for ongoing catechesis of adults.
At 600-and-some pages, it'll take awhile to get through this one. I'm interested to see how different this new version reads through these presbyopian eyes, compared to the old memorized version of my youth. I look forward to replacing memorization with reflection and perhaps a bit of inspiration.

While I wait for my delivery, I have a feeling I have unleashed a shower of repressed memories from those early religion classes:

Sister Irene: Class, What is Grace?

A Chorus of 25 Identically Dressed Third Graders: Grace is a supernatural gift of God bestowed on us through the merits of Jesus Christ for our salvation.
Like we had a clue then. Yet, I remember it now.

2 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, July 30, 2006, Blogger Steve Bogner said...

I wore plaid pants for my first communion.... early 1970's. It must have been pretty traumatic because up until yesterday I didn't have one stitch of clothing that came close to plaid (I bought a plaid-ish shirt).

My CCD days were an odd mix of pre- and post-Vatican 2 stuff. I remember the Baltimore Catechism as well as some other sorts of books with word-finds in them.

 
At 6:17 PM, July 30, 2006, Blogger CafeCath said...

Plaid-ish. That's an important first step on the road to plaid recovery. Congrats, Steve!

I, too, had an odd mix of religious ed. After 3rd grade Baltimore Cathecism came Vatican 2. 4th grade was radically different. I think that may have been about the time I started playing the guitar...learning to strum the folk sounds of post Vatican 2.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home