Saturday, November 11, 2006

'Tis The Season


As the holiday season approaches, my thoughts turn to to-do lists, shopping and hearing cheery retail clerks wish me a Happy Chrismukkah.

Not so fast. It looks like things at my neighborhood box store might be a bit different this year.

As you may know, the folks over at the Catholic League take Christmas pretty seriously. They've been pestering Wal-Mart to put Christmas back in the holiday season. And, according to USA Today, it appears the folks at Wal-Mart will be doing more than rolling back prices this holiday season.
New this year:

• A TV ad trumpeting Christmas will air for the first time next week. Wal-Mart also will air TV ads along with the Salvation Army mentioning Christmas.

• The name of the department with Christmas decorating needs will change from The Holiday Shop, which it was for the past several years, to The Christmas Shop.

• Store signs will count down the days until Christmas, and Christmas carols will be piped throughout the season.

• About 60% more merchandise will be labeled "Christmas" rather than "holiday" this year over last.
I suppose that's all good news. But, does it give me any more shopping days?

This Just In -- The Catholic League has launched its 2006 Christmas Watch, a site where you can give a virtual tongue-lashing to any "Christmas Kill-Joys" you meet as you celebrate the spirit of the season. (Does anyone else find that ironic?)

7 Comments:

At 5:27 AM, November 12, 2006, Blogger Garpu said...

Call me crazy, but the way Wal-Mart treats its workers, kind of begs the question of what a Catholic is doing shopping there.

 
At 2:00 AM, December 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks be to God for the Catholic League! We need more people defending the Christ in the CHRISTmas.

Im sorry brother, Cafeteria Catholicism only leads to fluffy Christianity, something that is ultimately of no use to mankind.

And yes many American Catholics may view the Churchs teachings as "pick and choose" but i would argue they lack a proper understanding of the foundations that underly our teachings.

Im in my 20's and I grew up surrounded by Cafeteria Catholicism, and i can speak first hand at the confusion this ultimately leads too. If Truth is unchanging, then who am I decide what is, and what is not true. And if the Church is Christ extended in time and history, I better stop and listen. The formula is quite easy for me: How can you accept the head (which is Christ) without accepting his body (the Church). Its a totality.

 
At 5:47 AM, December 24, 2006, Blogger Steve Bogner said...

Merry Christmas!

Ah, to be in my 20's again and have everything figured out....

 
At 6:25 PM, December 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,
I'm detecting sarcasm from your post. Where exactly do you disagree with what genxer wrote?

 
At 4:45 PM, December 28, 2006, Blogger Leticia said...

He can't argue the point, so he's merely putting him down as a know it all, well, this old lady of 44 agrees with him!
By the way, it does matter how Christ's birthday is made a forbidden word in the culture. Words have power, and can change minds. Why else would pro-abortion people prefer the sound of the label pro-choice instead!

 
At 7:51 AM, January 07, 2007, Blogger Steve Bogner said...

What genexer said just made me a bit nostalgic for when I was in my 20's, that's all. When he/she said 'The formula is quite easy' it reminded me of when I thought I had life all figured out - before I had kids, before my parents died, before my younger son almost died, before my marriage almost failed, before I drifted away from and back into the church, before I got laid off and started a new career, and so on.

So, no reflection on genexer intended; just my own nostalgia for when times seemed simpler for me.

 
At 1:09 AM, April 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genxer...

How do you reconcile that with the allowance of Catholics to act in good conscience?

Am I a Cafeteria Catholic (and by your reasoning, a poor one) if I use artificial birth control within the confines of marriage to prevent the spread of AIDS?

Sometimes there is (and should be) a little wiggle room.

Call me PC, but whats wrong with "Happy Holidays" (Holy Days)?

Contrary to what some may believe, not everyone in this country is a Christian. As a prudent businessman, why would I want to alienate my Jewish consumers, for example?

Love the blog, keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home