Thursday, September 01, 2005

Meditative Relief


It's taken me a few days to begin to comprehend the devastation on the Gulf Coast. And, I'm only just beginning. My eyes see images that my brain just can't quite absorb. I hear stories that I simply cannot believe. I can't find the words to describe it all. Perhaps there aren't any. The staggering (and increasing) number of victims and their worried families are in my prayers.

Last night, I decided to sit in on a meditation class at my new gym. And, there, in this very public, busy, bustling place, something very spiritual happened. After the dozen or so participants settled onto our mats, the class instructor (who just happens to be the director of this very corporate health club) calmly called our attention. She gave a lovely introduction to the practice we were about to begin, which was steeped in Buddhist tradition. At the end of the intro, she asked the group if we would dedicate this "sitting" to the victims of Katrina. We all nodded. So, we began.

Within moments, I remembered how delightful it can be to get still. With our bodies finally relaxed, we were invited to get "connected to the earth" and become "aware of the present". Deep in the meditation, our lovely instructor asked us to set an intention for the people of the Gulf Coast. I did. We did. And, in that moment, I just know that what this group of people sitting on the floor in a swanky urban gym did somehow, somewhere made a difference to someone. I just know.

As we say prayers, and write checks and give blood and whatever else we're called to do to provide much needed relief, I invite you to get still, get connected to the earth, become aware of the present, and set your intention for these people. You will provide relief. I just know.

1 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, September 04, 2005, Blogger Steve Bogner said...

I got started in Buddhist-style meditation a few years ago, and then run across some Christian meditation in a book from Thomas Keatin (a monk) called 'Open Mind, Open Heart.' If you feel led towards more meditation or contemplative pracitces, I highly recommend Keating's works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home